Methods & Techniques
SMILE research and development covers the following three interrelated areas:
- > Understanding how ICT, student models, learning theories, and other issues can be combined and applied to enhance learning.
- > Design and development of personalized recommendations and feedback (visualizations, cognitive, affective, motivational) to strengthen students’ engagement, motivation, self-regulation, skills, performance, collaboration, and other desirable outcomes.
- > Implementation and evaluation of effective personalized interactive mobile learning systems to support students and lifelong learners during formal or non-formal/informal educational context.
Coping the educational problems we also consider cultural, gender and inclusive issues.
We combine techniques from the following research fields:
- > ICT: Internet of Things (IoT), Wireless Mobile & Sensor Networks, Social Networks, Cloud Computing, Mobile/Pervasive/Ubiquitous Computing, Data Mining, Human-Computer Interaction, Visualizations, Affective Computing, Business Games, Serious Games and Simulations, Information Systems, Technology Adoption & Innovation, Artificial Intelligence, Security, etc. to support students and lifelong learners during formal or non-formal/informal educational context.
- > Quantitative Techniques: Modeling, Operations Research, Statistical Analysis, Decision Making, Marketing Methods, Learning Algorithms, Finance & Economics, etc.
- > Learning Strategies: > Learner Models: Personality, Emotions, Neuroscience, Socio-Culture, Gender, etc.